Re: A question to candidates

On Fri, 2007-11-23 at 01:18 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
[snip]
> Taking too much time to decide: it sometimes happen that we wait for a
> meeting or for another event to take a decision, while the decision is
> pretty trivial. It might be related to my first item, since pinging
> people so they say +1/-1 could be enough.
[snip]

This is generally caused by the habit of only making decisions in
meetings, instead of making decisions on the mailing list. And a
tendency to think that all decisions must be unanimous.

It works like this. Something is discussed. It becomes an unstructured
debate and the meeting runs out of time. Someone says "Well, let's make
a decision at the next meeting". But everyone knows that nothing will be
done in the meantime to make that more likely, and half the meetings are
postponed (or don't have the relevant people attending).

So the result is that the decision waits for 4 weeks or more, and then
probably waits again. By this time, anyone outside the board has
probably given up, so the board just lets it drop. Nobody takes the
blame for this at the moment, so it's easy to do. A firm chairman needs
to stop this from happening.

This doesn't happen all the time, but it happens a lot of the time.

--
murrayc murrayc com
www.murrayc.com