Candidacy Statement: Behdad Esfahbod

Name: Behdad Esfahbod
Mail: behdad behdad org behdad gnome org
Nick: behdad
Affl: Red Hat, Inc. (http://redhat.com/)
Home: http://behdad.org/
Live: http://live.gnome.org/BehdadEsfahbod

Summary (75 words)

I'm running for the Board again because I believe I've learned a lot
being on the board this year and have just started to be productive and
useful as a board member.  I believe that the work the board has to do,
while not as fun as hacking, is of extreme importance to the well
functioning of GNOME, and I'm willing to put my time where my mouth is.

Who?

I've been around for a few years, but started taking responsibilities
in GNOME in 2005, first maintaining Pango, gucharmap, and vte, followed
by Accounts Team work and finally was elected board member last year.
I've been to GUADEC and Boston Summit in 2006 and 2007.

Why?

Because one year on the board is just not enough!  For the first half of
this year we had a very well functioning and productive board, but I was
very hesitant to take actions and actively attend the discussions,
mostly because I was all new to this kind of work.  It changed gradually
and now I think I was productive on the board for the past few months.
I want to continue that.  In the last meeting for example, I took the
role to be board's contact person with the GUADEC organization team for
the next year and expect to spend a good amount of time, if elected,
overseeing and communicating about GUADEC organization.

I'm lucky enough to have my employer let me spend most of my work time
on upstream GNOME work, including board work.  I believe having enough
time for the board, conference calls and email activity alike, is of
extreme importance to the functioning of the board, and am looking
forward to help create a very agile board this year, again, if elected.

Last but not least, I'm passionate about GNOME and want to see it
succeed.

Regards,

--
behdad