Re: Fwd: Supporting Gtk+ Maintenance

On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 21:25 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
> Le lundi 26 mars 2007, �4:12, Quim Gil a �it :
> > On 3/14/07, Tim Janik wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello Foundation Board.
> >
> > Hello GTK+ team.
> >
> > > The Gtk+ project is in dire lack of new maintainers, mostly to review (...)
> >
> > Thanks for this report, and actually thanks for the first report you
> > sent back in Christmas. On thaty time the board was in transition, but
> > we already took your points and since then this has been one of the
> > main points in our agenda.
> >
> > This is why GTK+ was one of the 2 main issues presented to the
> > advisory board members this week, together with Documentation. There
> > are lots of aspects to fix and improve in the GNOME project, but the
> > board has decided to put these two on top of the agenda.
> >
> > A practical conclusion of the discussion this week was that we need a
> > space for discussion where the GTK+ team, the board, the advisory
> > board companies and probably any other key GTK+ contributor /
> > stakeholder / user can share this discussion. An official channel
> > where we can hold a discussion from these different perspectives in
> > order to solve the main issues and push GTK+ to the bright horizon it
> > deserves. This channel might be online+offline, something like a
> > combination of a specific mailing list + meetings in relevant
> > conferences + ...
> >
> > The GTK+ core team has the initiative proposing the space and the
> > bootstrapping process of collaboration. Let's use this list to decide
> > the new channel.
>
> I'm wondering if gtk-devel-list is the place where the discussion about
> collaboration should be happening: I don't know if having a mix of
> technical discussions and collaboration discussions is good or not.
> Having a separate mailing list might help, but it might also be a stupid
> idea :-)
>
> What does the GTK+ team think?

If it's going to be a public discussion then it should be on
gtk-devel-list. It would be silly to create a new mailing list just to
discuss this one subject. If it's meant to be a private discussion then
a CC list will probably do it, with the advisory and board lists in it.

You might also want to arrange an extra conference call with the
advisory board if that's more to their liking. But that will probably
take 2 or 3 months to arrange.

I'm disappointed that this has been turned into a discussion about
discussing.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com