Re: Hiring a part-time sysadmin?

On Sat, 2007-06-23 at 19:29 +0200, Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi Murray,
>
> Selon Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com>:
> > Meanwhile, our sysadmins seem overworked, causing understandable delays
> > for simple requests. Now seems like a good time to pay someone so that
> > requests for new accounts, mailing lists, bugzilla products, etc, get
> > done almost immediately.
>
> It's a nice idea, based on a false assumption, I'm afraid.
>
> > The Board's finances seem to be OK right now, and I know that advisory
> > board members have generally been ready to contribute for specific
> > things that help the project.
>
> Our finances are balanced. That means we have roughly the same aount coming in
> as we have going out - except for some savings that we've made over the last
> year by not having any full-time employee (these are one-off savings, as soon as
> we hire someone we'll be balanced again, but with a slightly bigger bank account
> balance).
>
> So I don't think we have the money to hire a part-time sysadmin, and I think
> we'd have difficulty finding one (to work part-time). It's certainly something
> worth thinking about, but the answer will likely be "we can't (yet) afford it".

So, I think you should please ask the advisory board, and then I think
you should try to find somebody. They might say No, but in the past
they've wanted to be asked more often, because they want to help.

There are plenty of part-time student sysadmins at universities and
colleges, so you should be able to find someone similar for GNOME. You
don't need a genius - you just need someone who is paid to have time to
do stuff.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com