Re: GNOME Foundation Board Meeting Minutes :: 7/6/07

On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 19:02 -0600, Elijah Newren wrote:
> FWIW...
>
> On 6/13/07, Glynn Foster <Glynn Foster sun com> wrote:
> >

> > Paul Cooper wrote:
> > > * People aren't exactly falling over themselves to host and organise these things
> >
> > Agree - while we constantly pitch that organizing GUADEC can be an amazingly
> > rewarding experience, the stress that we see the team going through (and people
> > putting them through) isn't an encouragement. It's pretty much a full time job
> > for a few months.
> >
> > I'd *love* to get to the stage where we could outsource the conference, but the
> > last time we did that and outsourced an expo day, it was a bit of a disaster.
> > Financially we're probably not in the position to do this either if people are
> > expecting the conference to be free.
>
> This combined conference topic was brought up at DAM-4 last week in
> the Desktop Organization Panel session with jrb and I in the panel
> from GNOME and Lars and George (don't remember the last names) from
> KDE.  When both sides mentioned that the logistics of such an event
> seemed quite difficult, someone pointed out that helping with this
> kind of collaboration is one of the reasons for the existence of the
> Linux Foundation.  So, there may well be additional organizational
> resources available.

So, why not giving a lift to GUADEMY and making of it an instance for
KDE and GNOME hackers to get together once a year? There's this year's
experience already, and it doesn't need to be huge and complicated as
GUADEC and Akademy probably are right now. Just an instance and a place
for the hardcore GNOME and KDE hackers to meet and share. Discuss. Get
things done. From my observer position, I'd say something like the
Boston summit -- it doesn't need to be a well-structured conference for
everyone. If you want to achieve that, it can be as complicated as many
have already pointed out.

Claudio