Re: GNOME Foundation Board Meeting Minutes :: 7/6/07

FWIW...

On 6/13/07, Glynn Foster <Glynn Foster sun com> wrote:

Paul Cooper wrote:
> * People aren't exactly falling over themselves to host and organise these things

Agree - while we constantly pitch that organizing GUADEC can be an amazingly
rewarding experience, the stress that we see the team going through (and people
putting them through) isn't an encouragement. It's pretty much a full time job
for a few months.

I'd *love* to get to the stage where we could outsource the conference, but the
last time we did that and outsourced an expo day, it was a bit of a disaster.
Financially we're probably not in the position to do this either if people are
expecting the conference to be free.

This combined conference topic was brought up at DAM-4 last week in
the Desktop Organization Panel session with jrb and I in the panel
from GNOME and Lars and George (don't remember the last names) from
KDE.  When both sides mentioned that the logistics of such an event
seemed quite difficult, someone pointed out that helping with this
kind of collaboration is one of the reasons for the existence of the
Linux Foundation.  So, there may well be additional organizational
resources available.

(Unfortunately, I didn't feel like there was much other feedback from
the DAM conference this time, not even some listing of pain areas from
others where we could improve.  At least last time the LTSP folk told
us about some gconf issues, which jrb handled.)