Re: GNOME Foundation Board Meeting Minutes :: 7/6/07

On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 08:18:54PM -0400, Luis Villa wrote:
> On 6/10/07, Glynn Foster <Glynn Foster sun com> wrote:
> > 1) ECMA
> >
> >    We have the opportunity of joining ECMA as a non-profit
> >    member. Jody has expressed an interest in being a representative
> >    for GNOME, and suggested it would also be good to get someone
> >    there from Abiword.
> >
> >    ACTION: Behdad to contact Jody about the ECMA membership application
> >            and find a good candidate from Abiword to attend. Behdad to
> >            work on getting a press release for our membership.
>
> What would our purpose be there?

As a non-profit we (GNOME) would not have voting privileges.
The membership will serve as a mechanism to allow interested
foundation members to join ECMA committees.  I'm advocating this in
relation to ECMA376/TC45 aka MS OfficeOpen XML.  Committee members
have the ability to request clarifications and suggest improvements
in the text of the specification.  For anyone implementing parts of
this format this is a golden chance to get enough documentation to
facilitate interoperability.