Re: New board roles

Hi all,

On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 08:08 +0200, Quim Gil wrote:
> [snip]
> My candidate program was focused on internal board/Foundation
> improvements, and this is what I will try to push.
> [snip]

One thing that appears to need improvement is the handling of foundation
membership applications.

As mentioned today (for an appropriately chosen timezone) on #g-h, every
so often someone comes into that channel asking for someone from the
membership committee to ask for news about his/her application after
having waited X time. Independently of the reasons behind the delay, it
undoubtedly results in unnecessary frustration. It can be construed as
an excessively high bar of entry; it can occasionally be, and indeed has
been, seen as discrimination against specific individuals, &c.

Part of the problem lies in that applicants are more or less in the dark
as to what happened to their application, apart from the email that
(some?) of them get after submitting the application form. From asking
on line, it appears that most of the delays are due to having to wait
for contacts to respond to confirmations and so on; having a status page
where such information can be queried would probably be of much use. It
has also been reported that some people have had their application
accepted while not having gotten any notification of the fact.

I think that the membership committee is doing a great job. I think
there is some room for improvement, too, in, at least, the public
perception of their work.

If help is needed, do let me know, by the way.

Cheers,

-- m

--
Mariano Su�z-Alvarez