Re: GNOME Planet is currently unmaintained

On Sun, 2007-02-04 at 15:27 +0900, Davyd Madeley wrote:

> So a lot of people appear on IRC to check that someone is actually
> reading their emails re Planet and while Jeff did create Planet,
> it's now become a very important piece of GNOME's web presence.
> Maybe it's time to make a team responsible for it and feed its
> email into Request Tracker so that they know what email is handled.
>
> As Corey says, and by Jeff's own admission, Jeff is often crazy-busy
> and it's been this way since before linux.conf.au. I don't see that
> really changing any time soon.
>
> I would like to see a team (perhaps lead by Jeff?) formed to take
> responsibility for Planet.

As far as I understand, there are tasks which could be separated, and
would ease the Planet maintenance:

- Technical maintenance: Removing or temporally disabling feeds which
  are not available. Updating hackergotchies, etc.
- Editorial maintenance: Keep on eye on planet's readability, accept or
  reject requests for inclusion, etc.

The first could be done by a small team willing to comaintain the
planet, and require not too much besides good will and a SVN account.
The second one, I think Jeff has done very well so far (leaving out the
fact of him being so busy), and I think things could improve if he
wouldn't need to take care of the first point.

Claudio

--
Claudio Saavedra <csaavedra alumnos utalca cl>