Re: Foundation misattribution

Hi,

On Dec 11, 2007 7:47 PM, Hubert Figuiere <hub figuiere net> wrote:
> Usually I don't care what slashdot can say, but this time they are
> making statements that are not true.
>
> http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/07/12/11/161252.shtml

Peter is connecting items that are disconnected. The only common
pattern I can find there is a will to damage the image of GNOME.

Zonk then promotes this connection of items to Slashdot's visibility
with a quality criteria that in journalism is called 'sensationalism'.

> and I quote:
>
> "... and GNOME Foundation director Quim Gil's stonewalling of the
> patent-free Ogg Vorbis / Theora format on behalf of Nokia. ..."

I'm currently director of this Foundation to fulfill an administrative
bypass. I never requested this role and I'm doing nothing with it.
Wait a couple of weeks and I will be done as director and board
member.

The link points to a bug report in maemo.org with comments I made as
Nokia employee in August - totally disconnected from the OOXML
discussion and also disconnected to whatever paper a Nokia
representative sent to the W3C recently.

I'm spending a lot of time and energies advocating for free software
and open standards in my job at Nokia. I won't go to Slashdot or even
here to explain details about my life. Surely I have written in public
pages more stuff that could be decontextualized and quoted against
GNOME. And against Nokia too, it's just a matter of searching with
sensationalism in mind. The alternative would be to stay quiet and
work only indoors. Not my style, though.

> The way this will be interpreted by most readers is that the foundation
> made the statement.

In the comments of a bug report in maemo.org with a signature that
says "Quim Gil (Nokia)"?

If someone wants to be so unaccurate and have such a distorted
perception then I wouldn't spend much time trying to clarify anything
else.

> Maybe it is time for another PR damage control?

Maybe it's time for peaceful and relaxing holidays. Some people seem
to be needing them even more than me. Not you, Hub.  :)

Said that, I will do whatever the GNOME Foundation wants me to do. As usual.

--
Quim Gil /// http://flors.wordpress.com