Re: Required: Administrator for the Foundation

On Sat, 2006-06-10 at 23:18 -0600, Mark Galassi wrote:
>     Federico> 10. Be computer literate. Preferably Linux literate.
>
> I hope that it will be a firm requirement that only free s/w be used
> to run the Foundation's administration.
>
> I know you are only talking about literacy, not what tools will be
> used, but I think this is a good moment to state that if we start
> hiring non-free-sw-hackers to do this kind of work, we should insist
> that they use free tools.
>
> I still remember my sadness when I worked for Cygnus and saw that the
> non-developers did not use free s/w across the board.

Right now, we use free tools to run almost all the foundation's books.
We use gnucash, abiword, glabels[1] and gnucash for the bookkeeping.
The GNOME tools are more than adequate to handle the Foundation's needs.

We do have a vmware instance to run Internet Explorer just for online
banking.  No one on the board is happy with this situation, and we're
planning on switching banks over this issue.

Thanks,
-Jonathan

[1] which is a really nice and underpromoted program.  Many kudos to the
authors for doing such a slick job on this application.