Re: Women in GNOME (Was: Code Of Conduct)

tor, 01 06 2006 kl. 08:13 -0400, skrev Luis Villa:
> On 6/1/06, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:
> > Anne wrote:
> > [snip]
> > > I do not say this to start a new long debat in this tread. But it has
> > > become obvious that the 1% participation of women in FLOSS is
> > > embarrassing and we need to have a look at why this is the case and make
> > > some cultural changes.
> > >
> > > I know that the Computer Science Department at the University of
> > > Gothenburg in Sweden has a gender action plan:
> > > http://www.informatik.gu.se/dokument/dokument.xsp?group=jamstalldhet&menu=org
> > >
> > > I think that many other universities and even GNOME and Ubuntu could get
> > > a lot of inspiration here. (Provided it gets translated from Swedish
> > > into a language you understand.)
> > [snip]
> >
> > Realistically, this plans needs to be written by you. Others will help you
> > with it, but you need to create it and drive it.
>
> Such a plan should be written by someone who has actually been
> involved in IRC, our mailing lists, bugzilla, etc., *as a developer*-
> which, sorry, isn't Anne. It will not work if it is not driven by
> someone with such experience.

The FLOSSPOLS report was so eyeopening because it was written by a man
who had to learn about these matters first and had a professional
scientific experience and tool case to use.

I will work with the whole of the women in FLOSS community as well as
with the persons who wrote the FLOSSPOLS reports and others who have
written scientific reports and with those of you who are interested.

Just because you can't cover the whole spectrum personally does not mean
that I am not entitled to have an opinion.

I have experience in gender issues on a professional basis in the Nordic
Countries, EU, and UN which might help. I attended the UN conference in
Beijing representing the Nordic Council.

Besides Luis I have manufactured a FLOSS nerd many years ago so I have
access to free in house expertise on the technical matters.

Have you by the way had time to read the FLOSSPOLS report yourself?

Anne