Re: Minutes of the Board meeting 2006/Feb/15

On Mon, 2006-02-27 at 13:05, Luis Villa wrote:

> > > we didn't sign anything, should we?
> >
> > It's a bit surprising since we have this in the trademark usage
> > guidelines: "Do not use GNOME logos unless you have explicit written
> > permission to do so."
> >
> > http://foundation.gnome.org/licensing/guidelines/
> >
> > We should probably fix this :-)
>
> This is one of the things I want to kill, FWIW.
>
> Luis

We can't have it both ways.  Either we keep the GNOME trademarks, which
requires us to enforce them, or we abandon them.

We (the Foundation membership) have the right to do either I suppose,
but there does not seem to be a good middle ground, if we do not enforce
the trademark, then anyone who wants to use the GNOME logos for any
purpose, even one that is potentially damaging to GNOME, can do so.  To
take an extreme case, someone could even make a release and call it
"Official GNOME" and we could not stop them.

Bill