Re: Code of conduct (bis)

2006/12/11, Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie>:

The Code of Conduct is not abuse, as both you and Philip seem to perceive
it.

More than perceiving, I'm reading.  :)

Murray introduced the CoC as a tool to 1. prevent abuse  - see
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-list/2006-May/msg00057.html

The Bugzilla team has been the first one using the CoC - Olav
explained it was a useful tool to prevent abuse and act against it.

Gnome has rightly or wrongly acquired a perception of arrogance.

I fully agree on this point - and with the fact that this is something
we need to solve. I just doubt a CoC is the right tool to fight
arrogance in our context.

Have a look to the archives. Read the CoC threads back in Summer and
the recent ones. Don't you find there the same level of arrogance we
have in tough debates? Do you see the CoC supporters less arrogants
than the rest. Judge for yourself.

Some of the core CoC supporters put (in my opinion) arrogance in
practice - quite in the GNOME way. I think it has something to do with
years in the project, status, high responsibilities, lack of time, too
many battles... I admire most of this people and I enjoy working with
them. They can be great mates and sweet hearts but for some reason
under some conditions they are arrogant. And yet they support a CoC.

Well, I prefer that we have a clear agenda of problems we want to
solve, and act to solve them directly instead of trying to find the
magical text that will solve them all. If we want more women in free
software let's do something about that (it's working). If we want more
Asian/African/etc contributors, let's dfo something about that. If we
want to wipe out arrogance let's do something specific about that.

To me the CoC is a relatively easy way to have some peace in mind
while the real problems keep being unsolved in their roots.