Re: Substituting "Linux" with "GNU/Linux" or "GNU"

On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 18:16 +0100, Alan Horkan wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Aug 2006, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:
>
> > Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 13:31:08 +0200
> > From: Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller <uraeus linuxrising org>
> > To: Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org>
> > Cc: foundation-list gnome org
> > Subject: Re: Substituting "Linux" with "GNU/Linux" or "GNU"
> >
> > Don't think I ever saw a post with viewcvs links or similar so I just
> > want to say I hope any mention of linux or gnu/linux in our
> > documentation is to mention it as an example of a kernel/operating
> > system on which GNOME runs. If its ever used in our docs as a
> > description of the system etc., it should be be considered a bug and
> > changed as we could very well be running GNOME on Solaris or FreeBSD for
> > example. Didn't check but I think that exact point is also mentioned in
> > our documentation guidelines.
>
> I quoted a section earlier which implies what you are saying without
> saying it directly:
> "Do not use Unix, or any other term, unless you have to directly quote the
> interface."
> http://developer.gnome.org/documents/style-guide/gnome-glossary-generic-terms.html#id3690752
>
> Anyone got a better more direct reference to this in the documentation?

We have been discussing this on gnome-doc-list, where this
discussion belongs.  I sent Yavor away from gnome-doc-list
and to foundation-list for the discussion about an official
Gnome policy on using "GNU/Linux" when appropriate.  But the
discussion of *when* it is appropriate, and how we refer to
the system in general, belongs back on gnome-doc-list.

(Does anybody else think it's a shame that the Style Guide
has a split infinitive?  I'm weird, I think.)

--
Shaun