Re: Substituting "Linux" with "GNU/Linux" or "GNU"

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:

> Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 13:31:08 +0200
> From: Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller <uraeus linuxrising org>
> To: Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org>
> Cc: foundation-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: Substituting "Linux" with "GNU/Linux" or "GNU"
>
> Don't think I ever saw a post with viewcvs links or similar so I just
> want to say I hope any mention of linux or gnu/linux in our
> documentation is to mention it as an example of a kernel/operating
> system on which GNOME runs. If its ever used in our docs as a
> description of the system etc., it should be be considered a bug and
> changed as we could very well be running GNOME on Solaris or FreeBSD for
> example. Didn't check but I think that exact point is also mentioned in
> our documentation guidelines.

I quoted a section earlier which implies what you are saying without
saying it directly:
"Do not use Unix, or any other term, unless you have to directly quote the
interface."
http://developer.gnome.org/documents/style-guide/gnome-glossary-generic-terms.html#id3690752

Anyone got a better more direct reference to this in the documentation?

--
Alan