Re: Looking for women? - Something wrong with the numbers?

On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 23:49 +0100, Anne �tergaard wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 23:28 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 23:21 +0100, Anne �tergaard wrote:
> > > In my opinion the first smart Free Software community that understands
> > > that freedom should be for more than 50% of the worlds population
> > > (theoretically speaking) and that it should respect all its users and
> > > would be users plus welcome and include newcommers will be the community
> > > that everyone wants to belong to.
> >
> > Nobody here decided that freedom is only for men, so there's no need to
> > persuade us that we are wrong to have decided that. If you have any
> > practical suggestions to make involvement easier for anyone then let's
> > hear them.
>
> Nobody decided this. It just seems so to me according to the statistics
> and my own experience. I am referring to Free Software and freedom to
> have a say in IT matters and to be heard.
> And it did not occur to the GNOME society (or anyone else) earlier to do
> anything about this fact which could have deep consequences for our
> national and global society.

It is easy to criticize, and it have occurred to the GNOME society
before that a higher percentage of women involved would be good thing.
The problem is that nobody seems to be able to come up with any concrete
ideas for trying to make the situation better. As Murray (and others)
have said, if you have concrete suggestions for how we can improve
things we are all ears.

If you want to try and set up a 'Women in GNOME' task force to look into
the issue and try to come up with some proposals, I as a board member
would be more than willing to support such a thing.

Christian