Re: Looking for women? - Something wrong with the numbers?

On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 21:39 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Maw, 2005-03-08 at 19:09, Rob Adams wrote:
> > Of course, I see no reason why women can't be hackers.  I don't see
> > anything in the culture that should keep women out.  In fact, from what
> > I can tell, most IT organizations and schools bend over backwards to try
> > to get women.
>
> I see things that keep groups of people out. Not just women either. The
> "in your face" approach of many free software projects may well fit
> American males and the like but it doesn't seem to fit Asian culture or
> perhaps western female culture.
>
> > The reason there aren't many women appears to be simply: women, on the
> > whole and on the average, don't want to be hackers.  As to why this is
> > true, we can really only speculate.  Cultural stigmas, fear,
>
> No you need to go and produce data sets and do statistical analysis.
> Alternatively you can ask them or listen when they offer suggestions
> why.

I agree.

I have not been asked but:

In my opinion the first smart Free Software community that understands
that freedom should be for more than 50% of the worlds population
(theoretically speaking) and that it should respect all its users and
would be users plus welcome and include newcommers will be the community
that everyone wants to belong to.

So let us learn how to be good.

No matter how good the software might be you are not getting any where
if it comes from the bad guys:)

People will go and look for new alternative solutions.

Anne

--
Anne Østergaard <anne oestergaard nu>