Re: Membership drive

On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 08:57 +0200, Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Luis Villa a �it :
> > The titular membership is only a proxy
> > for the actual, important membership, since we need one for voting for
> > the board. I've yet to see any other useful reason to have a
> > 'membership' list.
>
> So the keyu question then is "what does the GNOME Foundation do for its
> members? You seem to be saying that since the members' only purpose is
> to vote, we don't need a huge number, and since what the foundation does
> is generally for the community, and not for the foundation membership,
> we're always going to be more or less irrelevant to our membership.
>
> The only reason to become a GNOME Foundation member, then, is to have a
> say in who gets on the board. Is that what you're saying?

I agree that this is the main purpose of formal membership. As a
secondary thing, a large official membership helps us to show that we
are worthy of financial support.

I'm not sure if people feel the need to be formal members in order to
feel like part of GNOME, but I hope people like to vote.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com