Re: Certification for GNOME apps

On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 08:54:58PM +0100, Andrew Sobala wrote:
> I agree. I was similarly surprised by (on the wiki) the requirement to
> use .glade files as a possibility for one level; surely this
> certification should be about the user experience, not coding practises.
>
> This leads to a few modifications to the ideas suggested on the wiki;
> for example, "Uses gnome-vfs" would be "Is able to open and save files
> to/from any http:, ftp:, smb:, nfs: (others?) url." Which amounts to a
> similar thing, but is based on how much a user would care.

  For glade I agree with your, but not in the gnome-vfs case. reusing
gnome-vfs is a garantee of coherent behaviour in the face of various
access method and coherency is a big plus IMHO. You don't want to list
the methods of access, you want the given set of method access to be
the same (authentication included) for all apps. you don't want app A
working with HTTP with authentication but not able to save with Webdav
while application be cannot authenticate but save to unprotected directories
on your webdav server. One or the other is a small deficiency, but both
behaviour is a user pain (and sysadmin too).

Daniel