Re: Software freedom day

On Fri, 2005-08-19 at 09:38 +0200, Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're a little late on the get-go, but I think we should do something
> for Software Freedom Day - http://softwarefreedomday.org/ - September
> 10th this year.
>
> Perhaps GNOME user groups could hold an event for the day? Even if it's
> only a small demo in a local university?

As a coincidence, the guys from GNOME Chile are planning for that day
the "9a reuni�e formaci�e desarrolladores para GNOME" (GNOME
developers training meeting) in a university in Santiago. More
information about the meeting can be found (in spanish) in:

http://wiki.gnome.cl/Novena_Reunion

These meetings usually have instructional purposes on what is GNOME, how
the project works, how to begin to contribute, and usually there is
space for users advocacy and practices on GTK+ and other GNOME related
technologies. The audience is usually around 30-50 people, and we've
gained a couple of guys helping to the spanish i18n team, a few
interested on hacking and learning how the development platform works,
and of course, more exposure of the desktop in the universities that
have holded the meetings.

I wonder, do you have any idea of how can this be improved, in
particular regarding the software freedom day?

For us in Chile is hard to get CDs shiped fastly (Ubuntu copies got to
my place in Chile after two months of wait). Probably GNOME Live cds can
be burned for that day, it will depend of the fundings or good will the
guys in Chile can get.

T-Shirts or other kind of GNOME merchandising, are availaible in some
form we can get it?

Claudio

--
Claudio Saavedra <csaavedra alumnos utalca cl>