Re: Licensing and copyright

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 05:38:29AM +0000, Andrew Sobala wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 22:35, Rob Adams wrote:
> > OK I have prepared a preliminary draft document that I think is a good
> > starting point.
> >
> > You can take a look at:
> > HTML: http://readams.net/copyright/gnome-copyright/
> > PDF:  http://readams.net/copyright/gnome-copyright.pdf
> > XML:  http://readams.net/copyright/gnome-copyright.xml
> >
> > Please send me any comments you have, or if you prefer to directly edit
> > the XML, send me changes in unified context diff format (diff -u).
>
> Section 3.1: I *believe* it is allowed to put LGPL code in a GPL
> program.

I think the LGPL [http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/lesser.html] has an extra
GPL compatibility clause. So i think using LGPL parts in a GPL programm is
no problem. But usual disclaimers IANAL, etc apply.

"""3. You may opt to apply the terms of the ordinary GNU General Public
License instead of this License to a given copy of the Library. To do this,
you must alter all the notices that refer to this License, so that they
refer to the ordinary GNU General Public License, version 2, instead of to
this License. (If a newer version than version 2 of the ordinary GNU
General Public License has appeared, then you can specify that version
instead if you wish.) Do not make any other change in these notices. [...]"""

Martin H.