Re: Evolution copyright assignment: Storm in a teacup

On Sul, 2004-08-08 at 12:16, Carlos Perelló Marín wrote:
> Have you ever think that without that document perhaps they would never
> released evolution as GPL software? or even worse, Ximian would never

>From a purist point of view the argument would be that it is better to
have no project than a "falsely free" one. I suspect Richard would agree
with that. Work would instead be on Balsa.

Now the hard question is whether the evolution code is "free". Given
anyone can simply fork it and not give Novell permission to use their
changes I don't see any problem, and the foundation itself has no
power to stop anyone doing so and bundling that with their GNOME
release even if the foundation didn't like it.

Alan