Re: Evolution copyright assignment: Storm in a teacup

On Sat, 2004-08-07 at 13:28 +0200, Mikael Hallendal wrote:
> On lör, 2004-08-07 at 12:17 +0100, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> Rui, could you chill down a bit? Take a few breaths, go to the beach,
> have a beer or whatever makes you calm down...

It would make me calm down if people started reading instead of lying
about me!

> > On Sat, 2004-08-07 at 13:07 +0200, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> > > On Sat, 2004-08-07 at 11:32, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> Also keep in mind that yes, if you sign copyright and write some code
> you'll give them the right to use it for non-free software, but at the
> same time they have given you millions of lines of code to use _as_ free
> software.

If I wanted that why would I choose the GPL?

> Are you just afraid that they are going to stop give you your favorite
> email client for free? I think your position is more immoral than
> theirs, you just want to have have have without giving anything (pretty
> egoistic if you ask me)...

No. I've never said that. I'm not complaining about the possibility to
make it non-gratis.

What I'm complaining about is about including a gnome module that
developers who want to contribute must give away from the community
their code without anything in return.

They're trying to make code one writes in the spirit of the GPL being
turned proprietary.

> I do however see one drawback of copyright assignment and that is that
> some people can't work on those project due to contracts with their
> employeer stating that the employeer should have all copyright. This is
> however exactly the same as working on an FSF project.

Yes to the first phrease, No to the second: the FSF promises to keep all
assigned contributions Free Software.

Ximian/Novell do nothing but remind you they may want to make
proprietary software with the contributions... not only that, they
already (Miguel's words, not mine) have the intention to do that with
Mono. They want to be able to do that with Evolution too.

Rui

+ So let's do it...?