Re: Evolution copyright assignment: Storm in a teacup

Hi,

On Sat, 2004-08-07 at 11:32, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-08-07 at 11:25 +0200, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> > a) The GPL does not forbid that the software be also licensed under
> > another license
> > [ ] yes [ ] no
> >
> > b) A copyright owner is allowed to release code they own copyright on
> > under any given license
> > [ ] yes [ ] no
> >
> > c) The GPL does not forbid copyright owners to release code under other
> > licenses as well, even proprietary
> > [ ] yes [ ] no
>
> (...)
>
> This questionnaire only proves you don't understand.
> I've never said it is being done illegally.
> Just that it is imoral. It's a perversion and a way to circunvent the
> GPL, through aquisition of all rights.

Heh, it just shows how set you are in your own mindset.  These three
questions do not mention legality.  You were free to answer them from a
morality standpoint.

Instead you chose to do what you have done all along in this thread -
accuse people of only seeing the legal side, saying that you look at it
from the moral side, but providing ZERO backup on why it is immoral.

So try again, and answer the questions from a moral point of view, and
explain why what is being done is immoral.  You are not discussing the
actual topic.  You should explain why you consider this immoral, not say
that everyone else is wrong.

> I won't answer a biased questionnaire.

All questionnaires are biased.

> > All you've said up to now in this thread to anyone you replied is "you
> > are wrong".
>
> That's a lie. It's the oppposite. I've gone to great lengths explaining
> the problem, and most of the answers are that "I'm wrong".

No, you haven't.  You hide yourself behind a concept of morality of the
GPL but you don't back it up.

> >   You have given no real explanation to why these people are
> > wrong.
>
> That's a lie.

Again, you call something a lie and you don't back it up.

> >   You claim you have some deeper knowledge about the GPL's letter,
> > but also about its spirit, and even what it should have said in an ideal
> > world.
>
> That's a lie.

Back it up.

> > If you don't
> > Unless you have some points to contribute about specifically why what
> > Evolution is doing conflicts with the GPL (besides your personal
> > feelings), please lower your participation ratio in this thread.

> You could have spared this list two posts (one of them mine) if you
> didn't lie.

With your ratio being at 50% my post could only have served to lower
yours.  You chose to bring it back to 50% :)

I however have quite some posts to go before I even get to 50%, so bear
with me.

Thomas

You know well
Just never tell