Re: Evolution copyright assignment: Storm in a teacup

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 01:25:48, Danilo Šegan wrote:

Today at 0:55, Rob Adams wrote:

> Note that not including Evolution probably won't do much to reduce
> Evolution's deployment; practically everyone will continue to use it.
> Ximian can continue the proprietary/GPL hybrid business model, the Gnome
> project has retained a core freedom, and an excellent piece of free
> software can continue to thrive.

I disagree slightly here.  Not including Evolution (which means
evolution-data-server as well) into core desktop will have
significant consequences for Gnome itself (not Evolution): Gnome
platform will be unable to offer such functionality like panel applets
to search through your contacts/calendar, etc.  In short, we lose the
chance to *integrate* well.

I don't see the issue. If Novell wants to add that functionality to Evo excelent, otherwise GNOME doesn't need to pretend Evo is the only MUA/PIM ever had/has/will have. In fact, considering the problem at hand, making GNOME Desktop depend on Evo is a liability.

(disclosure: I'm a Balsa maintainer, you don't need to bring that up on a reply)

--
Carlos Morgado - chbm(a)ma.ssive.net - http://chbm.net/ 0x1FC57F0A FP:0A27 35D3 C448 3641 0573 6876 2A37 4BB2 1FC5 7F0A