Re: Evolution copyright assignment: Storm in a teacup

Hi Rob,

The topic here now seems more to be suited for d-d-l (modules
inclusion/exclusion).  But, I'm keeping it here, and not changing a
subject, since everybody seems to love reading this, including RT
members who decide on this ;)

Today at 0:55, Rob Adams wrote:

> Note that not including Evolution probably won't do much to reduce
> Evolution's deployment; practically everyone will continue to use it.
> Ximian can continue the proprietary/GPL hybrid business model, the Gnome
> project has retained a core freedom, and an excellent piece of free
> software can continue to thrive.

I disagree slightly here.  Not including Evolution (which means
evolution-data-server as well) into core desktop will have
significant consequences for Gnome itself (not Evolution): Gnome
platform will be unable to offer such functionality like panel applets
to search through your contacts/calendar, etc.  In short, we lose the
chance to *integrate* well.

So, I think it's essential that we have Evolution in Gnome desktop
as soon as possible, so third party developers could develop free
software based on it (Evolution, as it is, is Free Software, no doubt
about it; it will also stay Free Software, no doubt about it either;
whether code will be reused in another proprietary product is unknown
at this time :).

This doesn't change the fact that I'm not willing to contribute
anything significant to Evolution (just like you) if I'm asked to
assign copyright to Novell.

Cheers,
Danilo