Re: Yes to Publicity! Not to Anonimit! Was: Re: GNOME Foundation Annual Elections - proposal

mån 2003-09-15 klockan 16.55 skrev Tim Ney:
> > After all, the board members *should* be actively involved in current
> > GNOME development(*) so that they know what they're deciding about, but
> > knowing in detail who's currently actively contributing to GNOME or not
> > may be (and in many cases are) largely unknown to the great masses that
> > aren't contributing themselves.
>
> It's probably worth mentioning that there are potential board members,
> who may not be able to write a line of code, but could bring valuable
> marketing, fundraising or legal skills that would benefit GNOME.

Absolutely -- everyone should know that areas of potential contribution
is certainly not restricted to only writing code.

> Many non-profit organizations actually recruit board members who can
> contribute experience and money to help fulfill the organization's
> mission.

Agreed, and the foundation web pages also very clearly specify that a
director needs to be an active contributor "who tracks the day-to-day
happenings of GNOME"(*). If an external person is specifically recruited
to say, fill the gap in the GNOME legal team or something else, then
it's probably very clear that this person also has the intention of
being an active contributor and track what happens.

I've only read the above clause in the sense that people who have been
actively contributing by some means in the past, but no longer are doing
so or have the intention of doing so, may be unsuitable for the position
as directors. For someone specifically recruited to a position, one of
course has to assume that this intent does exist.

Christian

(*) http://foundation.gnome.org/overview.html