Re: Yes to Publicity! Not to Anonimit! Was: Re: GNOME Foundation Annual Elections - proposal

It's well known that one of the reasons that code reviews do imporve
software quality...

And it's exactly this kind of outside influence that we're trying to
avoid with anonymous voting...

Why??? It works, you get better results with it. Why you want to remove it??? :)

Anyway, it sounds like there are two positions on the subject and none of the sides is will change its opinion. Can we try to go in another direction? As far as I can understand, the main reason for introducing anonymous voting is the fear that a guy A from company B would get votes from people working for company B just because s/he is a guy from company B and s/he can make life of a voter from company B a nightmare if this voter would not vote for guy A (replace "company B" with any other group of people, say "friends or fans of
John Smith").

The anonymous voting tries to solve the problem by removing "just because s/he is a guy from company B" reason. Can we think about other solutions for this problem? For example, we can agree that such reason to vote for this guy A would always exist and intead of eliminating it we can try to "limit damage". One of options would be to promote diversity of GNOME Foundation. If, say, half of GNOME Foundation members work for the same company B then the fear mentioned above is real. However, if we have no company with more than 5% of GNOME foundation members then this fear seems baseless. Note that I *don't* suggest to establish limits on how many people can join GNOME Foundation from particular company. Instead I am thinking about promoting GNOME in general thus more people would be interested in joining Foundation. And none of the companies would be able to take significant percentage of
employees in the Foundation.

And probably there are other solutions to this problem as well. Anonimity sounds like a first
option but this does not mean that it's the best one.

Aleksey