Re: RealMedia used for GUADEC live transmissions?

How about MP4?

It may not be open source, but at least you are
not limited to one vendor for server/client software
that uses the standard.

Andrew Sobala wrote:
On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 19:35, Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:

I agree with Rui Miguel.  Encouraging the use of proprietary
software is quite counter productive.

I searched the foundation-list archives for RealPlayer and
got no hits.  It appears that this has not been an issue before.

On the other hand, if there's no mature Free alternative, then the
GU4DEC organisers would have to not allow people to view the talks over
the internet at all. That's not productive either :-)

(Actually, very little of the conference, if any, was streamed. I didn't
see anything, though apparently Alan Kay's keynote was streamed. And
apparently Oggs should be available soon.)

Maybe it's time for a GNOME Foundation policy document on the
promotion of Free Software (and the non-promotion of proprietary
software/standards/formats).  This would apply to official
GNOME websites, software, conferences, and docs.

Maybe so.

Does this sound reasonable?

Ciaran O'Riordan