Re: Issues cooperation

On Fri, 2002-11-29 at 09:02, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     3. ggobi: Listed under "Other" because its components have different
>     licences:  AT&T Open Source License, GPL, BSD, LGPL.  I don't know if
>     the AT&T one qualifies as free software.
>
> I've checked, and it doesn't--that is what makes it a real issue.

I don't have a strong opinion on the software map.  Is there GNU program
that does visualization of high-dimensional data?  I'd love to include
it in the software map.  I could not find one in the gnu.org free
software directory.

>     4. Gibbon: Listed under "Other" because its components are a mixture of
>     LGPL and the phpShop license.  I just skimmed through the latter very
>     quickly and I *think* it may have an advertising clause.
>
> The advertising clause is incompatible with the GPL but does not make
> the code non-free.  So perhaps Gibbon is not a problem.  I could tell
> you for certain if you send me a copy of the phpShop license.  The
> license of php is ok, but that of phpShop may be something different.

I've attached the license to this mail.

> Using Docbook as a standard instead of Texinfo is one example of
> divergence on standards.  GNOME developers did not discuss this issue
> with me or even tell me that they were going to disregard a
> long-established GNU standard--I found out only by accident.  I
> proposed a compromise to resolve the divergence, that using Docbook
> for the source is ok if it can be converted automatically into a good
> Texinfo file.

Eric Baudais already posted a list of technical reasons why DocBook is a
better idea than Texinfo for GNOME's purposes.

It is easy to convert DocBook into Texinfo if you wish; there are
stylesheets to do that already.

For printing we actually convert directly to TeX and typeset that.

Many free software projects are using DocBook for similar reasons as
GNOME, and our own decision to use DocBook was made a long time ago.
Given that the tools to process it are all free software, I see no
problem in continuing to use it.

It would be more important to steer projects like Debian to use either
Texinfo or an SGML DTD that is not completely non-standard; Debian uses
"debiandoc-sgml" instead of DocBook, for example.

> Just recently I heard that GNOME is telling people to use a program
> called popt instead of GNU getopt; whether that raises any real issue,
> I don't know yet, but I hope we can have discussions before such
> decisions in the future.

We support exactly the same long options as other GNU programs.  Again,
we use popt for technical reasons:

1. It allows us to chain multiple option sets together.  Most of the
GNOME libraries allow you to specify command-line options to the
programs that use them.  For example, libgnome has an option to
enable/disable the sound server, and libgnomeui has an option to disable
the crash dialog.  Most programs also define their own options.  You
cannot chain multiple option sets together with getopt_long.

2. It can automatically generate the output for --help, --usage, and -?.

We support the same set of options as GNU programs that do use
getopt_long.

There is no point in arguing about things like this; we cannot
micro-manage every single part of every single program.  It would be
pointless for GNOME to argue about other GNU programs implementing their
own versions of linked lists and system abstractions rather than using
Glib, for example.

  Federico
phpShop Public License (pSPL) Version 1.0

Copyright (c) Edikon Corporation.  All rights reserved.

modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
met:

1. Redistributions in source code must retain the above copyright
   notice, this list of conditions, and the following disclaimer.

2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
   notice, this list of conditions, and the following disclaimer in
   the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
   distribution.

3. Edikon Corporation requests that attribution be given to phpShop
   in any manner possible. phpShop includes a "Powered by phpShop"
   button that is installed by default. While it is not a license
   violation to remove this button, it is requested that the
   attribution remain. A significant investment has been put
   into phpShop, and this effort will continue if the phpShop community
   continues to grow. This is one way to assure that growth.

4. All advertising materials and documentation mentioning
   features derived from or use of this software must display
   the following acknowledgement:

     "This product includes software developed by Edikon Corporation
     for use in phpShop. (http://www.phpShop.org/)."

   In the event that the product being advertised includes an
   intact phpShop distribution (with copyright and license included)
   then this clause is waived.

5. Names associated with phpShop or Edikon Corporation must not be used to
   endorse or promote products derived from this software without
   prior written permission from Edikon Corporation.

6. Modified redistributions of any form whatsoever must retain
   the following acknowledgment:

     "This product includes software developed by Edikon Corporation
     for use in phpShop. (http://www.phpShop.org/)."

   Intact (re-)distributions of any official phpShop release do not
   require an external acknowledgement.

7. Modifications are encouraged but must be packaged separately as
   patches to official phpShop releases.  Distributions that do not
   clearly separate the patches from the original work must be clearly
   labeled as unofficial distributions.  Modifications which do not
   carry the name phpShop may be packaged in any form, as long as they
   conform to all of the clauses above.

Disclaimer

  THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY Edikon Corporation ``AS IS'' AND ANY
  EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
  IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
  PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL Edikon Corporation OR ITS
  CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
  SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT
  LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF
  USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND
  ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY,
  OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT
  OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
  SUCH DAMAGE.

This software consists of contributions made by Edikon Corporation and
many individuals on behalf of Edikon Corporation.  Specific
attributions are listed in the accompanying credits file.