Re: 11 Questions to answer

Mike Newman <mike gtnorthern demon co uk> writes:

> On Fri, 2002-11-22 at 23:37, Linas Vepstas wrote:
>
> > > Not true;  I still get gnome foundation email, and read it too ...
> > > but I beleive I am one of the ones whose formal membership was cut.
> >
> > Let me rephrase that:  despite being active on three different gnome
> > projects, and on this mailing list, and having been a founding
> > member, and being as curmudgeonly and opinionated as the rest, I still
> > find that I am unable to vote in the upcoming elections.   Why not,
> > I don't have a clear idea; presumably its because I was purged from
> > some membership list (that I don't know how to view, or how to get
> > myself back on it.)
>
> Linas
>
> No-one's membership was cut or purged without an attempt to contact
> them. I can confirm that a renewal reminder was sent to the address you
> have used to post the above message. If you didn't receive this for any
> reason, I would advise you to contact the membership committee at
> membership-committee gnome org as soon as possible.
>
> The list of Foundation Members is always available, along with
> information on how to apply/renew at http://foundation.gnome.org. The
> committee also regularly post updates on what's happening to
> foundation-announce regarding elections, etc.

I there was definitely a problem in that no followup reminder notices
were sent out. Try to let your subscription to a magazine lapse
sometime... you'll probably get half a dozen pieces of mail before
they give up on you.

Clearly, we shouldn't be *that* aggressive, but I bet a second
mail sent a few weeks before the deadline would have increased
the renewal rate by 30% or so.

People do tend to put things aside "to get to them later" and
forget about them. Especially when they have some expectation
that they'll be reminded when it gets urgent.

I came pretty close to forgetting to renew myself :-)

Regards,
                                        Owen