Re: Candidate Rhett Creighton

On Mon, 2002-11-04 at 22:02, Nate Case wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-11-04 at 15:17, Andrew Sobala wrote:
> > Whether you agree or not with rms's ethical standpoint, there's nothing
> > in his candidacy announcement that is untrue or questionable. Whether he
> > would make a good member of the Board is undecided - and will remain so
> > until the votes are counted - but making all his candidacy points
> > negatives doesn't really prove anything. It could be quite funny. But
> > wasn't.
> >
> > Could you keep your personal problems off public mailing lists. Thanks.
>
> IIRC, he has been our token "joke" candidate each year (see previous
> candidacy announcement archives).  Given that history, I don't think he
> was genuinely taking a stab at RMS, but rather this was just his way of
> announcing his candidacy.  Personally, I thought it was funny in that
> ridiculous kind of way :)

OK, well I've been involved in GNOME for less than a year and didn't
check the archives.

Nevertheless, it probably makes more sense to poke fun at a number of
candidates than singling out one. Especially when the one that gets
singled out is the one who has sparked the largest debates in the Free
Software and Open Source communities and therefore some people
vehemently disagree with his views, which is why I assumed that got
posted. Apologies for my misinterpretation.

Also, taking stabs at people could, if too enthusiastic, totally scare
people away from GNOME. Let's avoid that if we can. And sorry for this
hypocritical last paragraph, in the light of this thread :-)

--
Andrew