Re: Draining the Swamp: A Technical User's Experience

On Sun, 2002-05-05 at 10:25, ERDI Gergo wrote:
> On Sat, 4 May 2002, Richard Stallman wrote:
> > Second, a matter of principle: mere repetition doesn't make an error
> > into truth, and we should not treat it as truth merely because of the
> > numbers who repeat it.
> Mere repetition also doesn't make an opinion into a fact.

However, constant acceptance of an error derives in general assumption
that the error is the truth.

In my country, a couple of months ago, there was a sad article in a PHB
reaching magazine explaining how all Free Software (even GNOME and KDE)
was derived from Linus Torvald (typo from the article) with his Linux OS
and all his faithfull followers :)

I rather say that, if you know it's true but disagree with this
correction for matters of your personal taste of marketting, etc etc...
at least don't actively fight against those who promote the correction.

>    .--= ULLA! =---------------------.   `We are not here to give users what
>    \     http://cactus.rulez.org     \   they want'  -- RMS, at GUADEC 2001

Shouldn't you include a link to the url of a transcription of that
event? Because with out of context quotes you _can_ do a lot of reality
manipulation (eg, Al Gore and his "alledged creation", the internet).

In order to provide children with what's best for them, you don't just
give them candy all the time just because it's what they want, so, if
you just give children what they want... you're not really doing them
any good, are you? :)

Most endusers of desktops (not necessarily current gnome users, and
everyone is an enduser of some software) are a little like children...
uninformed, uneducated, etc etc... so their ubiquitous opinions, which
must (although) be taken in scrutinious regard, are not necessarily
what's best for them.

BTW, I am seriously looking forward the url I mentioned.

+ So let's do it...?