Re: Gnome speed

On Fri, 2001-11-16 at 18:05, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Our configuration is much plainer, with fewer snazzy graphics; that
> probably accounts for most of it. We did a lot of Nautilus
> optimization but as of 1.0.5 that was in the upstream Nautilus and
> should be in current Ximian.

It's more than that, I was not running nautilus (or gmc) before, and
some heave pixmap themes like dark marble or bhgtk were just so slow,
now even with nautilus running I can use these themes.  It loggs in
faster, menus (useing default theme) are faster, term windows pop up
faster...

It's weird, but very definiate...  As I said, then machine was very
usable before I installed rh7.2, but now it is 20-30% faster and I don't
think there is that much difference in the gnome features of rh and
ximian.

--

  Rob Brown-Bayliss