Re: desktop mem usage [was Re: Candidacy - Alan Cox]

On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 03:00:37PM +1300, Rob Brown-Bayliss was heard to remark:
> > Hmm. Maybe I spoke too soon. Maybe I need to reflect this back to
> > Alan Cox.  3-4 years ago, I was running gnome-1.0 on a p-166 w/64meg
> > ram (doing development & other things) and performance was acceptable
> > (in fact, it was 2x faster than win95 on the same machine, which...
> > well, I'm not a poet, but it calls for some superlative that embodies
> > a whole rainbow of emotions and feelings.)
>
> Likewise, I used gnome 1 on a PII300 with 96mg ram and an 8meg agp gfx
> card.  It was way faster than win98 on the same machine.  Then I
> didtched windows so lost track the speed diffeence.
>
> Now, I have a old clunker for  the kids, P166, 80meg ram, 2mg gfx card.
> Gnome 1.4 is a dog. Trying to load takes an age, galeon is UNUSEABLE.
> In fact, all it is good for is running as an Xterminal.

OK, so what changed?  Is this due to a small number of weird bugs deep
in some pixbuf or font library?  Or is it some pervasive over-use of
orbit or bonobo?  Maybe its just some misconfig on this particular
machine, and doesn't affect a 'properly installed' machine?  How can
we find out?

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas linas org>