Re: Establishing "The GNOME Press?"

From: Aaron Weber <aaron ximian com>
To: foundation-list gnome org
Subject: Establishing "The GNOME Press?"
Date: 26 Mar 2001 19:32:00 -0500

Hello foundationers.

Here's an idea for discussion at your next meeting. It's been floating
around for quite some time.
There's a good market for "treeware" books about GNOME and related
technologies.  We've got some good writers here.  There are a number of
printers who would be interested in printing books under a "GNOME Press"
or similar imprint (FSF Press? GNU Press?).  Most of us probably agree
that having a series of books printed under a "GNOME Press"  or other
imprint would be great. It would bring both money and prestige to the
foundation.  Maybe not a lot of money, but probably more exposure and
prestige.

No Starch Press is pretty excited about doing the job for us.  Excited
enough that I wonder if maybe there is a good reason we ought to look at
other printers. :>

I spent a couple of minutes talking to a pair of editors at New
Riders about trying to do more GNOME titles.  At first they were
not terribly interested (citing a small market).  I told them
about Sun and HP moving to GNOME as a default desktop and they
perked up a bit.  I think there may be some significant education
work to do in some of the publishing houses as part of talking
to them.  (On the other hand, if you're happy with No Starch Press
and they're already sold on the idea, then maybe it doesn't make
too much sense to chase other publishers.)

What do you think of establishing a printing imprint that would be the
"official" GNOME foundation imprint?  If you think it's a good idea,
what do you think of No Starch Press?

I think an imprint would be a good idea.  I'm not sold on (nor am
I against) No Starch Press.

-pate

Aaron Weber
Ximian, Inc.

--
This message written with Evolution, a nutritious part of the complete
Ximian GNOME desktop.  Join the Evolution: http://www.ximian.com