Re: Minutes of the GNOME Foundation Board meeting 23 January 2001

Michael Meeks <michael ximian com> writes:

> >  - check on GNOME 1.4 status and concrete timetable
> >    A draft version approved by the Board is availble below
> >
> >    => this is in large part tied to Nautilus release schedule
> >    => translation group need the last 10 days stable to finalize
> >    => Bonobo/Gnome VFS/Gnome print are the 3 main libraries which
> >       are the challenges to get the schedule
>
> 	I'm sorry, I don't want to nit pick but I don't understand the
> sentence: 'which are the challenges to get the schedule'.
>
> 	If the thinking was that Bonobo et. al are on the critical path,
> as far as I can see, I don't believe this is the case, at least for Bonobo
> that is.

My original wording in the meeting was "risk factors to the
schedule". i.e. the libraries with the most remaining work (as far as
I know) to be ready for 1.4, and thus, the ones that have a chance
(however slight) of missing the schedule.

Nautius is, of course, the #1 risk factor to the schedule.

I'm glad to hear you are confident of Bonobo making the schedule. No
one who was in the releng meeting or the foundation board meeting was
able to speak about feasibility of the schedule from the Bonobo point
of view.

> 	The rest of Bonobo should not be supposed to be frozen. We are
> still busily buffing it up, and will be extending the commitment to cover
> other APIs, as and when we are happy with them, in order to meet the same
> deadlines as everyone else for Gnome 1.4.

Does this mean that you are prepared to meet the 2/1 library
freeze/branch date, extending the freeze to all of Bonobo and creating
a stable branch on that date per the current plan? Or do we need to
adjust the date to allow time for these other APIs?

We are ready and willing to move the dates, the most important thing
is for the schedule to reflect reality as we know it, and be settled
relatively soon.

Thanks,

Maciej