Re: USA states' proposal to force port of MS Office to free platforms

Em Sáb, 2001-12-08 às 20:55, Xavier Bestel escreveu:
> le sam 08-12-2001 à 22:00, Daniel Veillard a écrit :
> >   I don't expect any useable MS office suite on Linux anytime soon, at least
> > not until they have a very clear financial incentive to do so.
>
> Sure, *BUT* if I've understood correctly, the states proposal wasn't at
> all about this: it was only about letting MS sell Office licences to
> third parties to let them port it to whatever they want, in a timely
> manner (as defined by the court). Anyone having bought the right to port
> Office will sure make lots of efforts to ensure it works well.
>
> So yes, you could end up having Office on a Linux box. A good port even.
> Terrific huh ?
> Do you still want to favor proprietary software on the Gnome platform ?
> This would kill Gnome Office, for sure.

If the people working on GNOME Office were only interested in creating a
MS Office-like package and didn't mind being controlled (eula's, etc) by
Microsoft, then yes, this could kill GNOME Office.

But that's not the reality, thankfully.