Re: Component Licensing [was Re: Questions]

Em Sáb, 2001-12-08 às 15:54, Sander Vesik escreveu:
> On Sat, 8 Dec 2001, Linas Vepstas wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 04:43:06PM -0800, George was heard to remark:
> > > I think with the above rationalle for licensing I suppose then that we would
> > > need to require only in-proc platform components to be LGPLed, and require
> > > the out-of-proc platform components just any free software license.
> > >
> > > This raises an issue.  Are 'panel applets' considered part of the 'platform'
> > > and if so should in-proc ones be LGPLed.  I don't think this makes all that
> > > much sense since they're mostly to use in the panel and they're not a library
> > > or anything.  But they are components.
> >
> > As you say, maybe this is a non-issue.  I beleive they are all currently
> > GPL'ed.  Making them LGPL'ed would make it easier for somebody to create
> > a propprietary/unusual-license panel application.  And that seems rather
> > unlikely ...
> >

> Leaving aside the unusual and proprietary licences for the second - and I
> see a lot of reasons for people to want to write an applet licenced under
> those - will I be able to write an apache licenced apache control applet
> so I can control the apache running on my desktop?

from fsf.org:

The Apache License, Version 1.1 (http://www.apache.org/LICENSE-1.1).
    This is a permissive non-copyleft free software license with a few
requirements that render it incompatible with the GNU GPL.

    We urge you not to use the Apache licenses for software you write.
However, there is no reason to avoid running programs that have been
released under this license, such as Apache.

And also of interest:

"If you want help choosing a license, evaluating a license, or have any
other questions about licenses, you can email us at
<licensing gnu org>."