Re: understanding how the board should behave

Mark Galassi <rosalia galassi org> writes:
> Amigos, apart from what will be written in the incorporation
> documents, I wonder if we should propose a few other behaviors for our
> eventual directors.

Some of these are already in the charter (I think)

> For example:
>
> - Should there be candidates for the election, or should anybody who
>   is registered to vote be considered a candidate?  This could be
>   implemented by saying that the votes are tallied and the first N
>   people are offered board positions (N is the number of directors --
>   what's the number, by the way?).  If any turn it down, the next one
>   is selected.

We wanted to do it by slate so that people could choose the best
balance of representatives. If we do it by person, we could easily end
up with a board that's mostly from one company, or all from the same
country, or whatever. This is in the charter now I'm quite sure.

> - Should we specify that the board hold all its discussions and votes
>   in a way that is archived and visible to the rest of the foundation?

This is also in there; everything will be archived unless there's a
need for confidentiality.

> - Problem of a sparse histogram -- suppose we have 204 voters, and 100
>   vote for Miguel, 100 for Federico, and four guys vote for four other
>   people.  This would not be a very

Thus slates.

> - Should we have a limit of the number of directors from a single
>   company?

We already do, no majority from a single company. Also, since you vote
by slate you can vote against imbalanced slates.

Read the charter. ;-)

Havoc