Re: Fixing the gnome-hackers list

Daniel Veillard <Daniel Veillard w3 org> writes:

> On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 08:28:23AM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > gnome-hackers is on a machine which is a poorly maintained open spam relay
> > (nuclecu.unam.mx). What do the candidates plan to do about this poor advert
> > for Gnome and fixing the list ?
>
>   One of the thing I would do is try to get one of the members
> (or anybody who can prove to maintain such a service) to build
> a unifided list system. Having reliables, easy to locate archives
> is tremendously useful, and make arguments "check in the ML" a
> valid answer to common problems. Gnome hacker is just one case
> I know I host the gdome archive, gnome-hackers is in .mx, I never
> found an archive, I don't know where the foundation list is run
> nor where the archive is ...
>
>   We simply need lists.gnome.org like we have bugs.gnome.org !

We already have mail.gnome.org which has working archives, spam protection,
active maintainership and everything we need.

We just cannot force anyone to host any list on any particular machine.

>   I would not force a project to host it's list on a given machine
> but I would suggest it if such facilities were available.
>   In that specific case until the facility is available I would
> keep quiet to avoid putting more burden on the poor soul doing that
> job (as I am annoyed each time someone tells me rpmfind service
> is broken or one of the archive died due to the archiver segfaulting
> on a given mail :-\)

The facility is already available and is called mail.gnome.org :-)

--
Martin Baulig
martin gnome org (private)