Re: Fixing the gnome-hackers list

On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 01:13:40PM +0200, Martin Baulig wrote:
> Daniel Veillard <Daniel Veillard w3 org> writes:
>
> > On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 08:28:23AM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > gnome-hackers is on a machine which is a poorly maintained open spam relay
> > > (nuclecu.unam.mx). What do the candidates plan to do about this poor advert
> > > for Gnome and fixing the list ?
> >
> >   One of the thing I would do is try to get one of the members
> > (or anybody who can prove to maintain such a service) to build
> > a unifided list system. Having reliables, easy to locate archives
> > is tremendously useful, and make arguments "check in the ML" a
> > valid answer to common problems. Gnome hacker is just one case
> > I know I host the gdome archive, gnome-hackers is in .mx, I never
> > found an archive, I don't know where the foundation list is run
> > nor where the archive is ...
> >
> >   We simply need lists.gnome.org like we have bugs.gnome.org !
>
> We already have mail.gnome.org which has working archives, spam protection,
> active maintainership and everything we need.

  Damn I feel stupid now ... How come I didn't found it before ???

> We just cannot force anyone to host any list on any particular machine.

  Right

> >   I would not force a project to host it's list on a given machine
> > but I would suggest it if such facilities were available.
> >   In that specific case until the facility is available I would
> > keep quiet to avoid putting more burden on the poor soul doing that
> > job (as I am annoyed each time someone tells me rpmfind service
> > is broken or one of the archive died due to the archiver segfaulting
> > on a given mail :-\)
>
> The facility is already available and is called mail.gnome.org :-)

  Hum, it's even easy to find from the main gnome page ...
And it looks great too !
Maybe a direct link to the archive from the home page may help.

 I think we should move gdome archives there (and probably the list too)
It might make sense to move the libxml list too ...

  Also foundation announce seems there but the foundation lists is not
listed in:

  And if there is one list which must be archived there it's the foundation
one !!!

   => no such list ..

 Is it due to a technical problem ? Where are are the archives ?
   http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation/

   => 404

Daniel

--
Daniel Veillard w3 org | W3C, INRIA Rhone-Alpes  | Today's Bookmarks :
Tel : +33 476 615 257  | 655, avenue de l'Europe | Linux XML libxml WWW