Re: Voting

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000 11:20:12 +0300, Ali Abdin wrote:

>When people actually start voting do they have to take into account the
>different company affiliations or not?
>
>What I mean is, am I allowed to vote for 6 Eazel (or Red Hat, or
>Helix Code) employees? or will the vote be disqualified (because it
>doesn't respect the fact that we would have an unequal board)?
>
>I think this is an issue that needs to be addressed. Lets say for example
>- the majority of people vote for 6 Eazel employees. According to the
>current rules though, you would only take the top 3. But what if the next
>person on the list has like 3 votes or something?

As I understand the voting rules (as one of the people who will have
to implement them), anyone is currently free to vote for an unequal
board.  When the final ordered list of vote results is compiled, we
will fill the board from the top of the list, and once a quota is
reached for a company, simply skip all subsequent people affiliated
with that company.  Effectively, there is an "election within an
election" for each GNOME company to see who gets the permitted slots.

If I'm misunderstanding the rules as we've agreed on them, I'm sure
someone will quickly correct me. :)

-Russell

--
Russell Steinthal		Columbia Law School, Class of 2002
<rms39 columbia edu>		Columbia College, Class of 1999