Re: GNOME domain for Spain

> Rodrigo Moya wrote:
>
> > Of course, we won't do any of this unless it is going to be part of the
> > GNOME project, and thus,
> > approved by the foundation.
> >
> > So, what the foundation thinks about this?
>
> Hi Rodrigo,
>
> I think it's awesome that you guys are moving in this direction.  One of
> the things that's been discussed (on this list?) is that we want to see
> more regional GNOME organizing efforts.  So I think having a group of
> people working on Spanish-language issues and on promoting GNOME in
> Spanish-speaking countries is really awesome.

Thanks Bart. In fact, we've been today discussing about what to do with that
site, and we've decided to not limit it to just a translation of the main
gnome site. That is, we'd like to have more things on that domain to help
in the promotion of GNOME in Spain (well, not only in Spain, as
there are over 400 millions of Spanish-speaking persons in the world, so that's
a big audience). To do so, the first ideas that have come up are:

* infrastructure for hosting some projects that are specific to Spain (and
Latin America) -> CVS, mailing lists, ftp, ...
* docs in Spanish: as you may know, there is already a team working on
Spanish translations (http://www.croftj.net/~barreiro/spanish/gnome-es),
so one of the first things we'll do is to make a mirror of all the docs on
that site, or maybe we'll move it to the new site, of course, if barreiro
(the boss in gnome-es) agrees
* help promoting GNOME in the Spanish public administration

Also, we've been talking about the GNOME event in the Expo Linux Madrid, but
about this, is Juantomas who will give more details when he's got them

Ah, and BarraPunto (http://barrapunto.com), a Spanish weblog about free
software (with a growing GNOME community, thanks to the GNOME
section http://barrapunto.com/index.pl?section=escritorios) will donate
a (quite powerful) machine for that domain.

> I think it'd be awesome if
> the other language-specific GNOME sites were reinvigorated as well.  And of
> course that shouldn't stop people from setting up GNOME organizations in
> Europe, Asia, Latin America or wherever else there's a critical mass of
> people who want to work on building a stronger GNOME community.
>
> We're still working on the legal work around incorporating the
> GNOME Foundation, but as soon as that's out of the way, I would love to see
> if there's any way I can assist the people who wanted to organize a
> sister-foundation in Europe.

yes, it would be great to have all those people getting to work about this,
but AFAIK, there seems to be no movement at all about the Europen GF.

cheers