Re: Legal Schmegal

On Sun, 19 Nov 2000, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I hate to be the one to bring up a dull issue such as this, but I was going
> over some old notes and remembered the whole Linux trademark kerfuffle that
> went on a few years ago...
>
>   Who owns the GNOME (or, er, Gnome) trademark? The logo?

Don't know if we own a trademark on this or not.  However, if someone else
tries to sue for infringement, I think we probably have common use rights
by now.  Gnome is fairly strongly associated with the gnome project these
days :)

Unless there has been a copyright assignment or release into the public
domain, the logo probably belongs to the person who drew it (would
that be Tigert?).  I don't think there are any restrictions on
distribution of the logo though.

James.