Re: Foundation summary

Hi Mike,

Well, it was a pretty big deal for Eazel to join Gnome.  We basically bet our
company, and our investors' money, on Gnome.  So before we made the official
announcement to that effect, we wanted to get to know the Gnome community.
Frankly, we hadn't even decided that we were going to GPL our software.  For a
while, we were coding in C++.  Our code certainly wasn't in CVS.  But Miguel,
Federico and others were willing to have private conversations with us and helped
us understand how free software works, and how Gnome works.  Then they introduced
us to the RHAD guys.  We had a set of very lively discussions, and they ended up
convincing us that we needed to be an integral part of the community, drop our C++
code, put our code into CVS.  They then helped us get to know more Gnome hackers,
and helped us introduce ourselves to the community.  This was a big deal for us.
And I think we did things the right way.  As a result, I do think we're able to be
a real part of the Gnome community and effectively work together.  Now, I think we
have built up enough trust among the Gnome hackers that, when conflcts arise,
we'll be able to resolve them based on that trust.  Compare: Corel and KDE for
example.

But one thing that was kind of weird was that Miguel, Federico and the RHAD guys
offered to help us, and gave us a preview of how the Gnome community would respond
to our announcement, but they were really in no position to represent Gnome.

So having a place where companies will be able to go to and say "we're interested
in building a company on top of Gnome" or "we'd like to contribute 6 million lines
of code to Gnome.  Please help us figure this out.  And by the way, this is
strictly confidential for the time being" will be really important if we want to
develop Gnome into a true alternative desktop environment to the Windows desktop.

I'm not sure if you've followed the recent OpenOffice announcement by Sun, but Sun
is basically GPL'ing 6 million lines of code and rewriting OpenOffice on top of
GTK, Bonobo and other core Gnome technologies.  This is a huge step forward for
free software and, in my opinion, the most important boost to free software since
the Mozilla announcement.  These kinds of announcements require a lot of
preparation.  In the future, we'll actually have a forum for these conversations
that's accountable to the Gnome hackers.

Cheers,

Bart