Re: election plans

Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Frank Hecker <frank@collab.net> writes:
> > However I wouldn't necessarily set the time limit too short, because I
> > think it would be better to let the initial board of directors have
> > enough time to complete all the formal legal actions required as a
> > consequence of incorporation, prior to having to deal with the
> > complexity of a full election.
> >

> So should we try to elect this initial board, or just carry over the
> steering committee in that role, or... ???
>
> What do people think?

I haven't been able to track this discussion real-time (I'm pretty much
off-net yesterday and today), but I notice this has evolved into a
wide-ranging discussion on how best to "fast track" an election
(balloting procedures, etc.). One of my points in making my comments was
that formal elections did not necessarily have to happen right away; in
fact, formal elections in the absence of formal incorporation and formal
bylaws (not to mention a formal membership list) are not really legally
binding in any strong sense.

An alternate proposal is that you all consider putting together an
initial "interim" board composed of members of the steering committee
and appropriate others, and have that board be the one named in the
official "founding documents" (e.g., incorporation papers and
elsewhere). Then the initial bylaws should have a provision for an
initial board election as soon as practically possible (say 2 to 3
months after incorporation), giving you enough time to work out all the
logistics of holding a full election.

Frank
--
Frank Hecker