Re: more openness

On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 05:27:52PM +0000, Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 10:43:00AM -0500 or thereabouts, Alexander Kirillov wrote:
>>  - foundation-list is not listed on the main mailing list web page
>>    (http://www.gnome.org/resources/mailing-lists.html)
>>    Yes, it is listed on more detailed page at
>>    http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/
>>    but I think it is not enough

> This, I think, is a consequence of listing all the lists by hand (so to
> speak), rather than simply providing links to the various lists hosted
> by gnome.org, helixcode.com, eazel.com and so on: for example

>  * lists at gnome.org (far too many to list)
>  * lists at helixcode.com (includes Helix and Evolution-specific lists)
>  * lists at eazel.com (includes Eazel and Nautilus-specific lists).
>  * lists at sourceforge (includes [...well, whatever is relevant here,
> if anything])

> It might look barer, but it will not date so rapidly.

> Having it the way it's done now means someone has to go and update the
> page every single time a new list is created. There's several missing
> as a result.

> Personally, I think saying "Here are the main places you'll find
> gnome-related lists" is simpler to maintain :)

We might be able to do both. With the new site design we're doing, I'll
lookinto pulling the list of mailing lists from Mailman automatically. It
shouldn't be too hard.

>> All of this is probably just an oversight - but I think we should
>> correct it ASAP. We definitely need to put more info on
>> foundation.gnome.org - such as contact e-mail and minutes of all board
>> meetings, and add links to this page from the main gnome page, as well
>> as to add foundation-list to
>> http://www.gnome.org/resources/mailing-lists.html

> Agreed.

> Cc'd to webmaster gnome org in the hope it's the right place. I believe
> www.gnome.org is all in gnome CVS, but I have never been sure how you
> amend it.

Mostly by example. :) It's in gnomweb-wml at the moment. We're redoing the
entire site now, though, so nothing should be done to that module except bug
fixing and such.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Helix Code web monkey - joakim helixcode com - Radagast IRC
      FIX sysop - free software coder - FIDEL & Conglomerate developer