Re: New York Times story (GNOME Foundation == OSF??)

Mike Kestner wrote:

> Telsa Gwynne wrote:
>
> > You think that's bad? Have a look at how the Register are telling
> > it:
> >
> >    Sun sources tell us that it will unveil its "GNOME Foundation"
> >    initiative at the San Jose LinuxWorld expo this week.
> >
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/1/12552.html
>
> I propose we add the following duty to the charter for the executive
> board:
>
> "The executive board will collect membership fees from companies who
> wish to join the advisory board.  The board will utilize these funds to
> wage a public relations effort against misinformation distributed by the
> media on behalf of the advisory board members."
>
> </Sarcasm>

That is pretty realistic, even if it's often hard to get newspapers to
correct anything... but we may use certain rights to do so as a legally
established foundation, in certain contries. In France, for instance, we
have a specific law allowing someone (under specific circumstances) make
a response letter published, and we need legal existance to do so... I
don't know for other countries (nor Europe) :(

So making such corrections / misinformation fought is definitely one of
the goals of the foundation.

My 2 french francs ;)
--
Olivier BERGER - Membre du C.A. de l'association APRIL
APRIL (http://www.april.org) - Vive python (http://www.python.org)